New Palestine has several bands that have received gold ratings to achieve the All Music Award from the Indiana State School Music Association:
- Concert Band
- Jazz Band
- Marching Band
- Solo Performance
- Wind Ensemble
- Winter Guard (Varsity, Junior Varsity & Cadet)
- Winter Percussion (New Palestine Indoor)
What’s the Big Deal with Band?
- Develops friendships with both freshman and upper classmen before entering high school, making the first day of school less stressful.
- No time for a boring summer, the Marching Band is busy most of the summer with rehearsals and performances.
- Research proves that being a part of band helps students succeed in other academic subjects like Math, Science and Reading
- Your student will continue developing their musical talents.
- The band helps develops critical thinking, become creative problem solvers, learn effective communication, and work as a team.
- Many businesses prefer to hire band students because of their discipline.
Marching Band is simply a big family that includes student performers, staff, and parents. This group works together to create award-winning musical ensemble. They have opportunities to perform for the community at football and basketball games as well as parades and field show competitions.
Can You Play High School Sports and Participate in Band?
Yes, while some sport and band activities do conflict, accommodations can be made with advanced notice.
Can My 8th Grader Use Their Instrument in High School?
Yes, the instruments purchased in middle school are beginner instruments and can be used in high school. If you are purchasing through Paige’s Music, you can upgrade the instrument easily. According to the contracts signed, there is a buy back option a considerable portion can be applied to an upgraded instrument. You can also continue to purchase their protection plan which is advisable because the instruments do get used in the band parking lot for many rehearsals.
How Do I Sign Up My Student for Marching Band?
- Send us your 8th Grader’s intent to participate to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Students Name, the Parent’s Name, Home Phone, Cell Phone, Address, and what instrument they play.
- During class registration, tell your Student Counselor to register you for either Band or Dance class. You must be in one of these classes to participate.
- Complete the “Intent to Participate” form and return to Mr. Humphries.
- Parents and students should attend the informational meeting in May where the season’s details will be explained.
- Parents and Students will then sign the agreement form presented at the informational meeting.
What Time Commitments Are Required for Students?
Marching band members are required to attend every practice including:
- Band Camp in July for 2 weeks
- Pre-Camp in May for 2 weeks
- Every Saturday during school until November
- Practice two nights a week during school year
- Several optional fun activities like Kings Island, Pool Parties, and family cookouts.
What Time Commitments Are Required for Parents?
For students to get the most out of their band experience, parents must volunteer through the Band Booster organization to help take care of meals, uniforms, props, equipment transportation, and many other details. All marching band parents are a part of this group and participate however they are able. There are required fundraising opportunities parents fulfill that help support the band, keeping fees to a minimum.
Upcoming Activities to Participate In
New Parent Cookout. Usually the first day of band camp we will have a cookout for all new parents to the band. Food will be provided by the booster board. You will have an opportunity to meet other parents and get any questions / concerns answered. We usually meet by door 34 (band door where you drop off). Please bring your own lawn chair. We will finish about the time mini-camp wraps up.
Mini-camp. This is important for the band members to be at as they learn how to march, hold their horns, and learn their new music. There will be a dinner break each day so make sure they pack a good meal. Or, I will see all the dad’s in line at subway!
Band camp. Please make sure your students have their music memorized before camp starts. Most of the time is spent marching and blocking the show. Please encourage your band student to practice. Ask them to play their music for you!
Ice Cream Social / Community Performance. This is an opportunity to come out and watch the band perform the show for the first time. You can see what they have been working on all summer.
Fresh Start. The school plans a time for all the freshman to find their classes and take a tour of the school. Everyone is welcome to come.
King’s Island. Every year the band takes a celebration trip to King’s island usually the day after band camp ends, just before school starts. However, this is not a band sanctioned event so no transportation is provided by the school. We will need several parents to volunteer to drive those who want to go. More details are provided during band camp.